Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I'm reading

I'm reading.

I haven't read a book in over a year. I used to read when I was a kid. Sweet valley. Babysitters Club. The classics. We used to swap books with my friends, talk about how our lives are like Wakefields'. Reading was a thing.

I lost it when I had found other things to do with my time during puberty years; malling with my friends, texting my first boyfriend using my mother's cellphone and erasing the messages right after (I was 12), discovering the internet. After grade school, the next book I read was Dan Brown's Angels and Demons when I was in 3rd year high school because my mother told me it was a good read. Then I read Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" in 4th year because my friend Pinky said it was good, and I needed something good for my book report. I'm glad I read it before the movie came out, still, the movie was just as good as the book.

I can count the books I've read for the past 10 years starting with Angels and Demons. That's how out of it I am with reading. I did try. I read Harry Potter from books 1-4 religiously. When the 5th book came out, I was in college, and I had lost all hope for the series because Cedric Diggory died. and became a vampire. I tried but I could not finish or get past the first 3 chapters. I would always have readings, and papers to do. Or I would say, "okay, I'll start on a book, as soon as I finish my readings" which I never got to till its deadline. When I would meet up with friends, I always tell them to meet me in a book store because browsing through the shelves always gives me comfort. I buy books, hoping that guilt will force me into reading. Nada. I also wrote in my overrated NY resolution to read at least 50 books for the year. It's October. 2 down, 48 to go.

It's only recently that ebooks have come out, and I've been all nega about it, saying that I prefer the real thing and reading from the tablet/laptop will only cause eye strain.

Eating my own words now. I finished 50 Shades Darker (I know. I know) in less than a week, reading from my phone. I'm now reading Catching Fire, and have several books lined up for when I'm done with it. I'm pretty proud of this, that's why I had to blog it. Maybe it will inspire me to start on my NY resolution slash life long dream no. 3 which is to write my own children's story book. Oh, and thank you sembreak for allowing me this opportunity. I have been swamped with too much psychology articles and journals, my imagination needs some oiling up.

I've been writing too. I've been working on a play I've been planning to write for a long time, I just needed inspiration.

Reading and writing. I guess that's what heartbreak does to you. haha

add me on goodreads.com/timeepatrol

No comments:

Post a Comment