Monday, February 14, 2011

CCP's MONODRAMA MANILA

I'm a CCP Virgin. Yes, I kissed the CCP grounds and made a wish. HAHA Dolly and I have been together through thick and thin, RMT, FA Theater, Henry Lee Irwin and then the recent Pilandok run in Meralco Theater. Our next stop will definitely be CCP. (before we go to Madison Square Garden. chos)

So Leinard and I trekked (oo naglakad kami from Megamall) to CCP to watch Monodrama Manila as part of our cultural immersion. It was a week-long festival of one-act drama monologues (kaya nga MONODRAMA diba!), and we only got to watch the last 3 plays of the festival; Anak ng Babaylan by Al Santos, Queen Kong by Fray Paolo Casurao, Galeon ni Simeon by Layeta Bucoy.

The first play was good, both the actor and the direction. It was about how a civilization ended because of one Native's desire to be a sacristan and worship the religion (sorry ang walang kwenta ko haha). I liked it. :)

Queen Kong was the most entertaining, as it was mostly comedic. The script in itself was dramatic; the OFW's tragic fate of working as a teacher in the US and finding out that the money she has been sending to her family, also goes to her husband's mistress. She goes home and decides to be an OFW Beauty Queen. It was light, but entertaining. :)


I'd have to say, my favorite was Galeon ni Simeon, the monologue wonderfully (omg-fully) portrayed by Shamaine Centenera-Buencamino. SOBRANG GANDA, SOBRANG GALING NI SHAMAINE, SOBRANG GANDA, LAYETA BUCOY. And this is not my first Layeta Bucoy play; she also wrote "Isang Libong Tula Para sa Dibdib ni Dulce" which was one one of the plays in the Writers' Bloc's 10x10x10. Which was SOBRANG GANDA din. Tuxqs Rotaquio directed Galeon ni Simeon. wala akong masabi. sobrang speechless ako. sobrang ganda.

SOBRANG GANDA.

Noni Buencamino and his daughter Delphine were sitting in front of us. For a minute there, I told Lei, "shet, we're so cultured"

Hay nako. yun lang. (expressing my grief in my futile attempt to write a matinong review)

No comments:

Post a Comment